On Tue, 2022-05-17 at 23:04 -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> If we go back to the OPs point, they were saying that they didn't like that
> you have to put an __init__.py in a dir in order to put resources in it. And I
> get that idea, but that wouldn't be making a dir a resource, it would be
> allowing a directory structure inside a package in which to put resources.

And this is no longer true as of importlib_resources 3.2.0 or Python 3.10, as we
added support for resources in namespace packages.

https://github.com/python/importlib_resources/pull/196

I agree with the point that directories are not resources, in fact:

https://github.com/python/importlib_resources/blob/main/importlib_resources/_adapters.py#L96-L100

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns