I think I might have confused things further, my apologies. I see 3 related but
distinct feature requests here:

  1) Allow a directory to be a resource in and of itself, and provide APIs for
working with "directory-type" resources.

  2) Allow resources with "/" in the name, and provide APIs to interact with
such resources as if the were filesystem directories, remaining agnostic as to
whether they actually are filesystem directories, to the best extent possible.
This is similar to how cloud storage providers like Amazon S3 handle slashes in
names. This would mean that you can put resources in subdirectories of package
directories that are not themselves subpackages.

  3) Provide APIs for working with resources within packages in a fashion that
more closely resembles directory and subdirectory relationships. I am not sure
exactly what this would entail.

As discussed above, (1) is a significant deviation from the existing model of
"resources" as described in the docs and implemented in importlib.resources, so
it's probably not a viable option.

I am not sure what (3) would consist of, but I  imagine that there is continued
room for improvement over importlib.resources.files().

(2) seems like a useful feature, if only because it seems more natural to write
"assets/images/foo.png" in resource "my_app.data", as opposed to "foo.png" in
resource "my_app.data.assets.images". But as stated above, maybe it's too
little benefit to warrant changing the model where in a directory is analogous
to a package.