Hey Michael. Thank you for your response. I modified LDAPObject.c and
ldapcontrol.c to use the solution described here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-cdb/+bug/157251

Looks like it is something specific to glibc in ubuntu and the
"recommended" use of PyObject_Del instead of PyMem_DEL. I've attached
a patch showing the modifications for anyone else ripping their hair
out. The glibc python free() error is now gone.

Now I can focus on my actual problem which I think has to do with my
python-ldap calls being blocked under fcgi. I tried compiling openldap
--without-threads thinking that it might magically work but no dice.

regards,
-Matt