northband wrote:
> Hi, I am interested in re-writing my website in Python vs PHP but have
> a few questions. Here are my specs, please advise as to which
> configuration would be best:
>
> 1.Dell Poweredge Server, w/IIS, currently Windows but considering
> FreeBSD
> 2. Site consists of result pages for auctions and items for sale (100
> per page)
> 3. MySQL (Dell Poweredge w/AMD) database server connected to my web
> server
> 4. Traffic, 30 million page loads/month
>
> I am trying to have the fastest page loads, averaging 100 items per
> result page.  I have read about using Apache's mod_python so I could
> use PSP.  Any help or tips are appreciated.

So if I'm reading this correctly: you have a system that's
working, and the main purpose of the re-write is faster page

Have you determined where the time is spent? For some web apps,
speed is all about the database, and if that's true of your system
then changing scripting language isn't going to provide the
performance boost you seek.

Another interesting question is how response time changes with
increasing load. Of course with the real website, those 30 million
page loads per month are not uniformly distributed. What is your
peak rate? Is rush-hour speed mostly what motivates the project?

--
--Bryan