Luke Skywalker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:47:30 -0800, Robert Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >Now, that's not to say that they are correct in their interpretation
> of
> >the GPL's terms. In fact, if I had to bet on an outcome, I'd probably
> >wager that the court would hold that only static linking would force
> the
> >program as a whole to follow the GPL terms. However, I certainly don't
>
> >have the money to pony up to run a test case. Consequently, I try to
> >follow the wishes of the copyright holder.
>
> It's strange that something so central hasn't been clarified yet, but
> maybe it's part of the changes meant for V.3.
>
> When you think about it, it'd be like banning any closed-source apps
> from being developed for Linux, since any application makes syscalls
> to the kernel and its libraries.
>
> But the fact is that there are now closed-source apps for that
> platform, and are considered legit since those apps don't include code
> from the kernel, but instead, merely make calls to binary objects. I
> fail to see the difference between making calls to the kernel API and
> making calls to Qt libraries.

The COPYING file for the Linux kernel includes this note:

Linux main COPYING:

: NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
: services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
: of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
: Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
: Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
: kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.
:
: Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
: is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
: v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.
:
: Linus Torvalds

Tim C