David C. Ullrich:
> Thanks. If I can get it installed and it works as advertised
> this means I can finally (eventually) finish the process of
> dumping MS Windows: the only reason I need it right now is for
> the small number of Delphi programs I have for which straight
> Python is really not adequate. Been not looking forward to
> learning some C or Objective C (or whatever that Mac thing
> is) - if I can just "accelerate" a few Python routines that'll
> be great.

To have better performance with Psyco you need low-level style code,
generally not lazy, etc, and adopt some programming conventions, so
you may have to rewrite your routines for max speed.

If some of your routines are too much slow there are many ways in
Python to write faster modules, like Cython, Weave, Inline, Swig, SIP,
ShedSkin, etc. For bioinformatics purposes I have found that Pyd + D
language is good for me (I have tried Pyrex too few times, but I have
lost my patience trying to track down in a jungle of ugly auto-
generated C code where some reference count updates happen. Writing D
code is hugely faster/better for me. Even writing a C extension for
Python from scratch may be better for me because there aren't hidden
things happening everywhere. I presume other people don't share this
problems of mine because there are lot of people using Cython now).

Bye,
bearophile