John Machin wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:41 am, "W. eWatson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What I'm trying to do is adjust date-time stamped file names for date and
time errors. The software program collects through a period that roughly
coincides with night hours every day and according to the OS clock. It
sometimes happens that a user sets the clock to the wrong day or hour,
possibly both. Possibly even the month or year. I'm trying to allow a user
the opportunity to repair the problem. (Date-time stamp part of the name is
yyyymmdd_hhmmss.) Correcting the date needs to be done easily and
accurately. For example, if on August 25, he mistakenly sets the date to
July 25, and discovers this problem on the real Oct. 5, he should be able to
shift all dates from July 25 through Sept. 5 to Aug. 25 through early Oct.,
allowing for day oddities in a month during the period. (I hope I got those
dates right; otherwise, I think you get the idea. In other words, he needs
to shift about 40 days of data to the correct dates.)

... all of which is absolutely nothing to do with your surprise at the
result of whatever.plus(months=6).
Really? It opened new insights for me. The example above is not the only correction I need to deal with. Further, the author is likely to soon clarify some of the date rules in the tutorial that were not obvious nor mentioned there.

So for some period from recorded date X to recorded date Y, the
recorded dates of out of kilter by D days. X = Jul 25 2008, Y Sep 5
2008, and D is 31 (days from Jul 25 to Aug 25). All you have to do is
(pseudocode):

if X <= recorded_date <= Y:
    new_recorded_date  = recorded_date.plus(days=D)

HTH,
John

--
                                   W. Watson