We've got a client who has been planning to use SharePoint for managing their organization documents, but has recently dropped that idea and is looking for an alternative. Is there any Python package with similar functionality?

I confess that I've never used SharePoint myself, and what I know about is mainly from these sources:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint
  http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.66103.7

I found a reference to CPS, but its developers have dropped the Python source to rewrite it in Java. That's disturbing, and I don't want to recommend an abandoned platform. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
- Joe