Michael George wrote:
Hello,

(Please CC me in replies, as I am off-list)

Ok, but please reply publicly.

I'm building an application (a game) in python, with a single C module containing some performance-critical code. I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up to build.

Use distutils and keep your sanity.

Distutils seems to be designed only for building and distributing code that lives in site-packages. I'd prefer not to install it in the global site-packages, but rather group all of the files together.

Then just use the build step of distutils and do the rest from your build script (Python-based, make based, whatever you prefer).

I've tried using automake,

In my opinion, this is serious overkill. automake is good for making stuff work on a herd of different Unixen with various combinations of libc functions available etc. But for developing a Python extension, it doesn't help much at all. All you need to know about Python is available via macros if you import Python.h.

however I'm worried about libtool not getting the options right while building my module. It seems to me like the ideal frankenstein monster would be for automake to invoke distutils to do the actual building. However I'm relatively new to both autotools and distutils, so getting this rigged up has been a bit of a challenge. Can anybody point me to a good example of something like this or give me any pointers?

My recommendation is to start simple instead of wasting too much time upfront for probably nothing.

Here's what I'd start with:

#!/bin/sh
python setup.py build
cp build/lib.*/*.so .