Derek Martin a écrit :
On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:43:30AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
Derek Martin wrote:
What the Python community often overlooks, when this discussion again
rears its ugly head (as it seems to every other hour or so), is that
its assignment model is BIZARRE, as in it's conceptually different
from virtually all other languages substantially taught in
undergraduate computer science programs.  And for that matter, it's
pretty unintuitive generally.

I'd definitely argue against bizarre. It's actually very easy to
understand, and Python is by no means the only language to have used it.

Clearly the first and third are true. :)  But CS programs still
generally teach primarily C/C++, Java, and (some form of) assembly
AFAICT.  A few odd ones pop up here and there along the way (I studied
with scheme, for example), but they vary and are highly
program-dependent.  What the average CS grad sees is, AFAICT, still
very much what I described.  Those languages also behave similarly to
what students see in mathematics (e.g. algebra etc.).  With only that
to go on, Python seems rather weird, and I think from the frequency
with which these discussions occur on this list, clearly it *IS*
difficult for a neophyte Python programmer to understand the
assignment model.

Took me about half an hour to grasp, not even being "CS grad" (nor whathever "grad" FWIW). By that time, I had a couple monthes working experience with VB, and had learned (but never seriously used) bits of C, C++, Java and Pascal.