Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
Esmail <ebo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
 I am wondering if anyone is using python to write script files?

Yes!

<..>

Almost any script that contains a loop I convert into python.

 In any case, the scripts are starting to look pretty hairy and I was
 wondering if it would make sense to re-write them in Python. I am not
 sure how suitable it would be for this.

With python you get the advantages of a language with a very clear
philosophy which is exceptionally easy to read and write.

Add a few classes and unit tests to your scripts and they will be
better than you can ever achieve with bash (IMHO).

Hi Nick,

thanks for including the script, that really helps. Nice way of
finding files.

Two quick questions:

As a replacement for grep I would use the re module and its methods?

What about awk which I regularly use to extract fields based on position
but not column number, what should I be using in Python to do the same?

The other things I need to do consist of moving files, manipulating file
names and piping outputs of one command to the next, so I'm digging into
the documentation as much as I can.

So much to learn, so little time (but so much fun!)

Esmail