Hello again Nick,

thanks for the additional script example. I was able to put
something together where I read the whole file into a list
as a series of lines (via readlines()) and then loop through
the lines seeing if the target string was "in" the line .. seems
to have worked reasonably well.

I am sure over time I will pick up the more Python(ic?) ways of
doing things.

I presume you mean something like this

   ... | awk '{print $2}'

In python, assuming you've got the line in the "line" variable, then

In python an equivalent of the above would be

import fileinput
for line in fileinput.input():
    print line.split()[1]

cool .. that is what I came up with too!

Note that the fileinput module is really useful for making shell
command replacements!

yes, I am going to have to process a number of files, so I'm also
looking at glob and os.walk(??)

 The other things I need to do consist of moving files, manipulating file
 names and piping outputs of one command to the next, so I'm digging into
 the documentation as much as I can.

Read up on the os module and the subprocess module.  You'll find you
need to do much less piping with python as with shell because it has
almost everything you'll need built in.

Using built in functions is much quicker than fork()-ing an external
command too.

Thanks again for all the useful info and examples, this really has been
a great help.

Esmail