Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Chris Withers wrote:
Martin v. Löwis wrote:
I propose the following PEP for inclusion to Python 3.1.
Please comment.
Would this support the following case:

I have a package called mortar, which defines useful stuff:

from mortar import content, ...

I now want to distribute large optional chunks separately, but ideally
so that the following will will work:

from mortar.rbd import ...
from mortar.zodb import ...
from mortar.wsgi import ...

Does the PEP support this?

That's the primary purpose of the PEP.

Are you sure?

Does the pep really allow for:

from mortar import content
from mortar.rdb import something

...where 'content' is a function defined in mortar/__init__.py and 'something' is a function defined in mortar/rdb/__init__.py *and* the following are separate distributions on PyPI:

- mortar
- mortar.rdb

...where 'mortar' does not contain 'mortar.rdb'.

> You can do this today already
(see the zope package,

No, they have nothing but a (functionally) empty __init__.py in the zope package.

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk