encoding declaration to the top of your source file if you use encoded
literal strings in your code

Any tips for how to set the encoding in IDLE? printing the Unicode strings works -- trying to repr() the variable chokes with a UnicodeDecodeError, and trying to enter the literals inside IDLE just gets me '?' characters instead.

(this is Python 2.5 + IDLE installed from the Python-2.5.msi on python.org)

Rami Chowdhury
"Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice." -- Hanlon's Razor
408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 0189-245544 (BD)