On Aug 22, 2009, at 3:32 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

You can use both, but I suspect parsing from StringIO to be slower than
parsing from the string directly. That's the case for lxml, at least.

Note that fromstring() behaves the same as XML(), but it reads better when
parsing from a string variable. XML() reads better when parsing from a
literal string.

I'm not sure I know the difference between a string variable and a literal string. Is the difference as simple as:

somestring = u'<stuff>hello world</stuff>'
fromstring(somestring)  <-- string variable
vs
XML(u'<stuff>hello world</stuff>')  <-- literal string

Kee