On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:46:13 +0200, Diez B. Roggisch
<de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> I was surprised a couple of days ago when trying to assist a colleage with
>> his python setup on a ubuntu 9.04 system.
>>
>> We built our c-extensions and manually copied them into place, but
>> site-packages wasn't there. It seems that ubuntu now wants stuff to go
>> into lib/python2.6/dist-packages.

> I don't know much about the atrocities distributions commit to
> python-installations (ripping out distutils "because it's a developer-only
> thing",

Well, if you are thinking about Debian Linux, it's not as much
"ripping out" as "splitting into a separate package with a non-obvious
name". Annoying at times, but hardly an atrocity.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .