r wrote:
Well despite all my rantings over Unicode i highly doubt Guido will
remove it from Python or any other language devs will follow suit. As
i pointed out the real issue is not so much a Unicode problem (which
is just a monkey patch) but stems from the multi-language problem.

Unicode is a symptom, not a fundamental cause.

[snip]

But this same problem also extends into monies, nation states, units
of measure, etc.

There is, of course, an international system of measure. The US is the only major holdout. (I recall Burma, or somesuch, is another.) An interesting proposition would be for the US to adopt the metric system in exchange for the rest of the world adopting simplified basic English as a common language.

tjr