Aahz wrote:
In article <7ms7ctf3k2a7...@mid.individual.net>,
Gregory Ewing  <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
However, Go's designers seem to favour using the absolute minimum
number of characters they can get away with.

Although if they *really* wanted that, they would have dropped most of
the semicolons and used indentation-based block structure instead of
curly braces. I would have forgiven them several other sins if they'd
done that. :-)

That's essentially my issue with Go based on the code samples I've seen:
no over-arching design sensibility at the syntax level.  It looks like an
aggolomeration of semi-random C-like syntax.  There's nothing that
shouts out, "This is a Go program," unlike Python, C, and even Perl.

I think there is an overall design sensibility, it's just not a human-facing one. They claim that they designed the syntax to be very easily parsed by very simple tools in order to make things like syntax highlighters very easy and robust. So indentation-based blocks are right out.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco