On 1/14/10 3:39 PM, Peter wrote:
On Jan 15, 6:24 am, Mark Roseman<m...@markroseman.com>  wrote:
  Peter<peter.milli...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Besides, the book is mainly about using Python with Tkinter - and
Tkinter hasn't changed that much since 2000, so I believe it is just
as relevant today as it was back then.

I'd say that Tkinter has substantially changed - with the introduction
of the 'ttk' themed widgets.  I cover these in my tutorial
athttp://www.tkdocs.com

Mark

But is the ttk themed widgets a "change" to Tkinter or an "addition/
improvement"? i.e. does the themed widgets invalidate any of the
Tkinter stuff in Grayson's book? That certainly isn't my impression of
the themed widgets, I was of the impression that the themed widgets
just added some convenient widgets (such as Scale, Spinbox etc) which
a user could find in other GUI frameworks, for example, Pmw
supplemented the basic Tkinter widget set and offered some (essential
IMO) widgets that were missing in Tkinter - such as the Notebook
widget.

It's both a change and an improvement. The themed widgets can be used in conjunction with the traditional widgets, but in many cases it's possible (and desirable) to update your entire application to use the themed widgets.

Lets face it, if somebody wants to get up to speed on Python and GUI
development then the book is still very, very relevant and necessary
(IMO). The documentation for the themed widgets still leaves a lot to
be desired from the perspective of somebody who wants to start using
Python to create GUI applications. As Lord Eldritch reminded me in his
post, the book even has a section on Pmw - which is what I use mainly
for my GUI applications - because Tkinter was missing some vital
widgets that are now available in the ttk themed set.

Personally I will start to incorporate some of the ttk themed widgets
into my applications - but Pmw will remain the 'basis' for my GUI's as
the entire framework (IMO) supports a class oriented approach that
allows easy creation of extensible and reconfigurable (at run time)
GUI interfaces.

PMW is certainly a helpful addition to the Tkinter developer's toolbox, but it also has limitations. It suffers from some of the same limitations as Tk itself, i.e. it is rather dated in appearance, and even it lacks some modern UI features such as a good multicolumn listbox, treeview, etc. In addition to the ttk themed widgets, other, more configurable pure Tk-based megawidget packages exist, such as BWidgets and Tablelist, and there are Python wrappers for these at the Tkinter wiki (http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/).

Ultimately Grayson does a good job of providing information and
reference to toolkit(s) that allow a beginner to quickly get up to
speed on producing a GUI using Python. It is purely up to the user
afterwards as to whether they stick with Tkinter/Pmw (and now the ttk
themed set) or venture into wxPython or Jython (as two examples of GUI
'systems' that provide 'better' facilities to a Python programmer).

Another book I've found very helpful for learning Tkinter is Programming Python by Mark Lutz--a lot of coverage there of GUI development.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin