On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:19:09 +0100, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:

> We demand testable quality standards, but not of their code. We demand
> it of their software. We say *what* we want, they decide *how* they'll
> do it. Noncompliance will be fined, by a contractually agreed amount.
> Everything beyond that is micromanaging and detracts workforce from the
> stuff *we* have to do.

You specify the Functional Requirements but not the Design Requirements.
Fair enough.

> We are in exactly the same kind of bond with a company that buys our
> system (and support). I have yet to see any one of them demand to see
> how we write our code. Why should they care? (Rhetorical question, I
> refuse to discuss this any further.)

It is true that most people don't care how code is written. But they
*should* care, because how it is written directly impacts the quality of
the code. Saying "I don't care how it is written" is precisely the same
as saying "I don't care how reliable, secure or efficient the code is".

Of course people do this. People also inhale carcinogenic chemicals, vote
bad laws into place, drive too fast, ingest noxious chemicals, and spend
hours on Usenet debating the number of angels that can dance on the head
of a pin.

>> I guess that when even the *customers* will resist implementing such
>> quality expectations, it's little surprise that the vendors continue to
>> push out such shoddy work on their customers.
>>
> When I'm building bicycles I can go to the trouble of going by what
> method of galvanization my tires are produced. Or I save myself the
> trouble and just take the best offer and hold them responsible when they
> don't deliver on their promise. Both possible, both work, and both
> appropriate in certain situations.

Many years ago, I assisted a professional building architect design a
software system for specifying the requirements of major architectural
works such as bridges and high-rise buildings. They specify *everything*,
right down to the type of sand used in the concrete and the grade of
steel used for the frame. When using the wrong type of sand could mean
that the bridge collapses in 35 years, you soon learn that, yes, you damn
well better care.

--
Steven