I would think there are some small time and big time Python players who sell
executable versions of their programs for profit?

Yes. What's your point?
That someone must know how to distribute them without having the source code ripped off.

disutils. Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure I was using Py2Exe, and disutils
might have been part of it.

distutils.

http://docs.python.org/library/distutils.html
I don't see ;how distutils is going to solve this problem. Are you suggesting the program should be packaged? Why? I can just send it to him as py code. distutils looks like it's for library modules, e.g., functions like math.

So how does one keep a non-Python user in lock step with my setup, so these
problems don't arise? I don't even want to think about having him uninstall
and re-install. :-) Although maybe he could do it without making matters
worse.

That's going to hinge on what your dependencies are.

Geremy Condra