On 8/6/2010 10:31 AM, geremy condra wrote:
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM, W. eWatson<wolftra...@invalid.com>  wrote:

I would think there are some small time and big time Python players who
sell
executable versions of their programs for profit?

Yes. What's your point?

That someone must know how to distribute them without having the source code
ripped off.

I've never seen a code obfuscation scheme I thought did the job the
whole way, including compiling C, and Python bytecode is significantly
easier to turn back into something resembling the original source
(YMMV, I suppose). Also, if you don't know about common tools like
distutils, the odds are pretty good that it isn't your code itself
that is valuable to you- you're probably more interested in protecting
your idea about what the code should do. At least for now, that's
outside of the scope of technical solutions- discuss it with a lawyer,
not a programmer.

disutils. Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure I was using Py2Exe, and
disutils
might have been part of it.

distutils.

http://docs.python.org/library/distutils.html

I don't see ;how distutils is going to solve this problem. Are you
suggesting the program should be packaged? Why? I can just send it to him as
py code. distutils looks like it's for library modules, e.g., functions like
math.

...no. Distutils is handy because you could just bundle your
dependencies and hand them an easy-to-install package, which would be
a quick way to get everybody on the same page. Of course, depending on
the licenses those dependencies are under you might want to do even
more talking to a lawyer than I've previously suggested before you go
about trying to sell that bundle- I'm sure you wouldn't want to 'rip
off' great free projects like python and numpy.

Geremy Condra
Yes, code reversal programs have been around for many, many decades. Try one on MS Word or Adobe Acrobat. :-)

Is there a complete illustration of using disutils? Our only dependencies are on Python Org material. We use no commercial or licensed code.