On 11/17/2011 9:39 AM, John Gordon wrote:
In<ja3eae$rr$1...@dont-email.me>  "W. eWatson"<wolftra...@invalid.com>  writes:

Months ago 2.5.2 stopped functioning on my Win7 PC, so a few days ago I
uninstalled and installed. Same problem. If one right-clicks on a py
file, IDLE is not shown in the menu as Edit with IDLE. After playing
with matters I gave up, and uninstalled 2.5.2 and turned to 2.7.2. Same
results.

I'm not sure I'd describe the lack of IDLE in a context menu as
"python not functioning".
Well, yes, and I can run it from the command line.

If I look at a 2.4 install on my laptop, I get the desired reference to
Edit with IDLE.

My guess is that Win 7 is behind this. If so, it's good-bye Python.
This has been a nagging problem for far too long. I see no reason why a simple install should make such a difference with the way I get to IDLE. Maybe few people here like IDLE, but for my minimal needs, it's just fine.

It was working originally, right?  So the problem can't really just be
Win 7.
I installed it about April 2010, and it worked for months. I then stopped using it until around July 2011. It no longer worked in the IDLE sense.

Who really knows?

Can you add IDLE manually to the associated applications list?

Tried that by sending it directly to idle.pyw, but then trying to get there through the Edit with menu caused a "invalid Win32 app."