On 11/17/2011 8:34 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:55:36 -0800, "W. eWatson"
<wolftra...@invalid.com>  declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

Months ago 2.5.2 stopped functioning on my Win7 PC, so a few days ago I
uninstalled and installed. Same problem. If one right-clicks on a py
file, IDLE is not shown in the menu as Edit with IDLE. After playing
with matters I gave up, and uninstalled 2.5.2 and turned to 2.7.2. Same
results.

If I look at a 2.4 install on my laptop, I get the desired reference to
Edit with IDLE.

        Fine... so open a directory window, follow

Tools/Folder Options/File Types

Scroll down to PYW, click [Advanced]

        You should get an "Edit File Type" dialog. Mine shows just one
action "open", yours probably has "open" and "edit". Select "edit" and
then click [Edit] button. See what it says for the application to be
used.

        Do the same on the Win7 machine -- it probably doesn't have "edit"
as an action, so you'll be picking the [New] button. Define the new
action to look like the action on the laptop (use the correct path to
the python executable, and maybe to IDLE).

        Heck, check what those actions show for PY files too... The only
difference between PY and PYW should be the application used in the
"open" action.
PY =>  .../python.exe
PYW =>  .../pythonw.exe

        Also make sure that the "open" action is the defined default (select
the action, and click the default button); when there are more than one
action, the default will be in bold.

My guess is that Win 7 is behind this. If so, it's good-bye Python.

Comments?
See my response to Neil Cerutti a few msgs above this one.