This syntax is explicit *enough*. We don't need to be any more
explicit.

But if you are going to argue that "if obj" is *explicit enough*, then
apply your argument consistently to "String"+1.75 also. Why must we be
explicit about string conversion BUT not boolean conversion? Can you
reduce this to the absurd? Or will you just choose to ignore this
valid point?
Not all decisions in Python are based purely on the "explicit enough" thing. Some things in the language cannot be explained using explicitness alone. So, when we cannot fully explain the ' why String+1.75 ' question with statements about explicitness then it doesn't mean that anybody lied or wrote something wrong. :-)