I can open it is and all looks good using Pixelmator (I don't have
Photoshop installed). I don't think there is anything wrong with the image.

Part of my question is a result of being new to actually using exceptions
in my programs and dealing with the exceptions is a primary part of what I
need to do with this program. When I get an exception that seems to be an
issue with PIL (i.e. not my program or a problem with the image) I am not
sure what the "right" or conventional way to deal with it is.

Vincent