On 1/13/2013 2:08 AM, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
On 01/13/2013 01:35 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 00:11:53  -0500, AK wrote:

 >> I don't know what to call these, so for now I'll call them "training
 >> text movies" until I come up with a better name..
 >>
 >> I hope these will be helpful, especially to new students of Python.
 >>
 >> http://lightbird.net/larks/tmovies.html
 >

 > For the benefit of those who don't have web access at the moment, or who
 > don't like to click on random links they don't know anything about,
would
 > you like to say a few words describing what "text movies" are, and how
 > you think these may be helpful?

Sure: they play back a list of instructions on use of string methods and
list comprehensions along with demonstration in a mock-up of the
interpreter with a different display effect for commands typed into (and
printed out by) the interpeter. The speed can be changed and the
playback can be paused.

They are simulated videos of an interactive interpreter session, with entered commands appearing all at once instead of char by char, and with the extra features mentioned above. I presume the purported advantage over an after-the-fact transcript is focusing watcher attention on each entry and response.

--
Terry Jan Reedy