On 6/10/2013 4:13 PM, Rui Maciel wrote:
Terry Jan Reedy wrote:

Three answers:
Look how much trouble it has already caused ;-)
Since you are a self-declared newbie, believe us!
Since, be definition, useless code can do no good, it can only cause
trouble. Think about it.

I don't doubt that there might good reasons for that, but it is always
preferable to get the rationale behind a decision to be able to understand
how things work and how to do things properly.

I agree actually. But sometimes is it hard to articulate 'good reasons' for a principle based on the integration of over a decade of experience. I was really trying to point to the difference between

'I will not accept the experience-based advice until enough good reasons are presented.' and

'I will provisionally accept the advice but I would still like to know why.'

Another principle similar to 'Don't add extraneous code' is 'Don't rebind builtins*'. I have a separate post for that.

Terry