I'm having trouble with the BOM that is now prepended to codecs files. The files have to be read by java servlets which expect a clean file without any BOM.

Is there a way to stop the BOM being written?

It is seriously messing up my work as the servlets do not expect it to be there. I could delete it but that means another delay in retrieving the data. My work is a bibliographic system and I'm writing a new search engine in Python to replace an ancient one in C.

I'm working on Linux with a locale of en_GB.UTF8

--
Dr Janet Bagg
CSAC, Dept of Anthropology,