My editor is JEdit. I use it on a Win 7 machine but have everything set up for *nix files as that is the machine I'm normally working on.

The files are mailed to me as updates. The library where the indexers work do use MS computers but this is restricted to EndNote with an exporter into the old Bib-Refer format which we use. I then run them through a Python program to check the unicode for new characters that also creates an ascii transliteration of the main fields and checks for errors.

The problem is occuring at the search stage. This stage creates a script with directives to search particular years and then puts the results into a file in /tmp. The process is left over from an old CGI version but is efficient and so has been kept. This has been done with a very old C program that a collegue wrote back in the 90s with more recent updates. I'm in the process of updating this to Python as it is getting too difficult to maintain.