On Dec 20, 2013, at 8:00 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> A good point.  Shall I write a PEP asking for a language change which
> requires that that stupid = sign is replaced by a keyword reading something
> like thenameonthelefthandsideisassignedtheobjectontherighthandside ?

Or a symbol like :=. As a former Smalltalker, I still miss this as the
assignment operator, and the “gets” verbiage that went along with it. One said:

x := 4

as in “x gets 4”

I always got a kick out of the following paragraph from
http://james-iry.blogspot.com/2009/05/brief-incomplete-and-mostly-wrong.html.

"1970 - Niklaus Wirth creates Pascal, a procedural language. Critics
immediately denounce Pascal because it uses "x := x + y" syntax instead of the
more familiar C-like "x = x + y". This criticism happens in spite of the fact
that C has not yet been invented."