Frank Millman wrote:
These are the kind of stumbling blocks that prevented me from succeeding in my previous attempt. I have a vague recollection that I set it up on machine A, but then hit a problem because machines B and C both accessed the same directory, but with different names

For dealing with your practice of editing on one machine and
running on another, you may be best off having just *one* local
repository, residing on the shared file system. Whichever machine
you're working on, you cd to the shared directory and use hg or
git commands from there, so all the pathnames you're using are
relative.

Source control operations might be slightly slower that way,
but you'd save time by not having to update your local repo
every time you switch between editing and running, so it may
well be faster overall. In any case, if the machines involved
are on a fast local network, I wouldn't expect there to be
much difference.

--
Greg