On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 20:05:29 +0200, robertw89 wrote:
>
>> I invoked the wrong bug.py :/ , works fine now (this happens to me when
>> im a bit tired sometimes...).
>
> Clarity in naming is an excellent thing. If you have two files called
> "bug.py", that's two too many.
>
> Imagine having fifty files called "program.py". Which one is which? How
> do you know? Programs should be named by what they do (think of Word,
> which does word processing, or Photoshop, which does photo editing), or
> when that isn't practical, at least give them a unique and memorable name
> (Outlook, Excel). The same applies to files demonstrating bugs.

Heh. I agree, but I've been guilty of this exact problem myself.
Suppose you have a program that segfaults when given certain input, so
you take the input that crashes it, and progressively simplify it
until you have a minimal test-case. What do you call the file that
you're editing? What if you have a few different variants? I've had a
few called "boom" and "boom2" and "booooooom" and so on, because
there's really nothing else to call it - if I knew what the cause of
the crash was, I wouldn't be naming the testcase files, I'd be fixing
the problem.

ChrisA