Swift may yet be good for PyObjC (the python bridge to the various
Apple libraries); it is possible that there is some kind of
translation table that PyObjC can make use of to make its own method
names less ugly.

Of course, I wish they had picked Python rather than inventing their
own language.  But Apple put a huge stock in the ability of their
libraries to make full use of multiple cores.  The GIL is surely the
sticking point here. It is also clear (reading the Swift
documentation) that they wanted a script-like language but with strict
typing.

It looks to me like there are a lot of strange design choices, the
logic of which I do not fully see.  I suspect that in a few years they
will have to go through their own "Python 3" moment to make things a
little more logical.