On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:57:29 PM UTC+5:30, Thomas Rachel wrote:
> Am 08.06.2014 05:58 schrieb Rustom Mody:

> > Some people� think that gotos are a code-smell.
> >  � I am not exactly those people.
> > A chap called E W Dijkstra made the statement: "Goto statement considered
> > harmful" and became famous.

> And became widely misunderstood. If anybody would read the whole what he
> wrote, people would learn that he doesn't criticise the *use* of goto,
> but he wants the *replacement* of goto with something else (like
> exceptions).

> As C doesn't have exceptions, goto is in many cases the simplest and
> easiest way of handling errors.

> Essentially, you can write both good and bad code both with and without
> goto.

Here is Dijkstra:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rubinson/copyright_violations/Go_To_Considered_Harmful.html

First statement:
| For a number of years I have been familiar with the observation that
| the quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of
| go to statements in the programs they produce.

And here is Hoare, not identical to Dijkstra but with similar areas of
interest and similar views on correctness etc, very unambiguously
criticising exceptions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_handling#Criticism