On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:

> Thankfully, you don't need to run your program from a terminal. You can
> interpret keyboard events any way you want if your program is an X11 or
> Wayland client, and forget all about TTYs, baud rates, parity bits,
> hangups etc.

That still doesn't answer the fundamental question:

Are you looking for KEYBOARD input or TEXT input?

Until you figure that out, nothing matters. Personally, I'd much
rather work with text than with actual keys; in the uncommon case
where I want a keystroke to trigger an action, I'm always working in a
GUI already, and I can create a menu item with an accelerator. A
visible one.

Just because you *can* poll the keyboard for events, don't think that
you *should*.

ChrisA