Op 2017-09-12, Tim Golden schreef <m...@timgolden.me.uk>:

> I agree. Except for the unusual case where someone's mistakenly chosen
> to use, eg, Python 2.4 because they're using an old text book which
> mentions it as the current version, most people are using the version
> which suits them for one reason or another.

If it is not clear from the original post that they are consciously
using an old version, I will often try to politely suggest they use the
latest version (i.e. "If there is no particular reason for you to use
Python 1.5.2, may I suggest that you use 3.6 instead?").

The reason is that:

* On many operating systems, just typing "python" will give you
  Python2.7 at best (e.g. macOS!). And the OP may not be aware that
  there are more recent versions.

* In businesses, it is especially common to run on some RHEL version
  $ANCIENT; not so long ago I had a machine where typing "python"
  presented me with Python 2.3!

I agree that *badgering* them about it (as opposed to suggesting it
*once*) is a bad idea.

> And, if I may put my 2.5p-worth in here, they're probably using the
> operating system which suits them. (Maybe because their employer has
> said so, or because they're familiar or whatever). So saying, as people
> occasionally do, "Upgrade to Linux", even with half-a-wink, is not
> really that funny or helpful.

It's not really the same, though.

Changing the OS is a big undertaking and affects all their programs,
just installing version 3.6 of Python as a private user shouldn't affect
anything else. You can install python in your home directory on your
ancient RHEL box and leave the system Python happily at 2.3.

I nowadays typically never bother with the system Python for my own
development and just install a recent version of my choice locally.  It
saves a lot of headaches. The system Python is there to run system
programs.

Stephan