Steve D'Aprano <steve+pyt...@pearwood.info> writes:
<snip>
> [...] try something more common:
>
> 1/2
>
> Most people aren't expecting integer division, but true division, and silently
> returning the wrong result (0 instead of 0.5) is a silent source of
> bugs.

I'm the sure that expectation depends on their background and previous
programming experience, and since I don't know much about most people
when they first write 1/2 in Python, I must conceded that you may be
right.  But is that really the point?  Was the result of 1/2 determined
by a poll to find out what most people expected?  If so, who were these
people -- the result would depend very largely on the selection?

But there is a stronger claim (which I think you also made) that a
floating point result is the correct one.  However, some people with
little experience of floating point arithmetic (I certainly can't say
most but it must be quite few) will expect

  1/10

to return a tenth.  For /them/, the floating point result is silently
wrong and a source of bugs.  If I were aiming a language at beginners,
I'd make 1/10 be a rational or a type error.

However, I don't think that is Python's main demographic, so 1/10 giving
something not quite one tenth may well be the correct design choice.

<snip>
> And 1/2 doesn't have to return an int. Why is this such a big deal?

I'm sure it's not deliberate, but 1/2 is a bad example because it can be
exactly represented in the most common implementations.  To get a more
fruitful exchange of views, a division like 1/3 or 1/10 might be a
better example.

<snip>
--
Ben.