On 19/09/17 16:00, Stefan Ram wrote:
D'Arcy Cain <da...@vybenetworks.com> writes:
of course, I use calculators and computers but I still understand the
theory behind what I am doing.

   I started out programming in BASIC. Today, I use Python,
   the BASIC of the 21st century. Python has no GOTO, but when
   it is executed, its for loop eventually is implemented using
   a GOTO-like jump instruction. Thanks to my learning of BASIC,
   /I/ can have this insight. Younger people, who never learned
   GOTO, may still be able to use Python, but they will not
   understand what is going on behind the curtains. Therefore, for
   a profound understanding of Python, everyone should learn BASIC
   first, just like I did!

Tsk. You should have learned (a fake simplified) assembler first, then you'd have an appreciation of what your processor actually did.

:-)

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd