On 2017-09-19 19:15, Christopher Reimer wrote:
On Sep 19, 2017, at 9:09 AM, justin walters <walters.justi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 2017-09-19, Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
On 19/09/17 16:00, Stefan Ram wrote:
D'Arcy Cain <da...@vybenetworks.com> writes:
of course, I use calculators and computers but I still understand the
theory behind what I am doing.

  I started out programming in BASIC. Today, I use Python,
  the BASIC of the 21st century. Python has no GOTO, but when
  it is executed, its for loop eventually is implemented using
  a GOTO-like jump instruction. Thanks to my learning of BASIC,
  /I/ can have this insight. Younger people, who never learned
  GOTO, may still be able to use Python, but they will not
  understand what is going on behind the curtains. Therefore, for
  a profound understanding of Python, everyone should learn BASIC
  first, just like I did!

Tsk.  You should have learned (a fake simplified) assembler first, then
you'd have an appreciation of what your processor actually did.

:-)

Tsk, Tsk.  Before learning assembly, you should design an instruction
set and implement it in hardare.  Or at least run in in a VHDL
simulator.  [Actually, back in my undergrad days we used AHPL and
implemented something like a simplified PDP-11 ISA.]

Alternatively, you should design an instruction set and implement it
using microcode and AM2900 bit-slice processors.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Could I have a drug
                                 at               overdose?

Is assembly still a thing today?

I wanted to take assembly in college but I was the only student who showed up
and the class got cancelled. I dabbled with 8-but assembly as a kid. I can't
imagine what assembly is on a 64-bit processor.

Assembler? I started out on a hex keypad. I still remember that hex C4 was LDI.

Assembler on, say, a 6502 or ARM is pretty nice! :-)