Hi Roger,

On 13/12/17 23:31, ROGER GRAYDON CHRISTMAN wrote:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

On 05/12/17 06:33, nick martinez2 via Python-list wrote:
I have a question on my homework.
[...]
For this kind of problem I think the collections module [1] can be very
useful. In this case in particular have a look at the Counter package ;)
[...]

A nice answer at face value, and for general questions, but
perhaps not the best given the subject line and the first sentence
in the OP's note.

[...]
When I teach my course, I have no desire to have
all my students turn into cargo cultists.

At least this particular student did post his intended solution,
instead of outright begging for code.  And most of the responses
I see did attempt to work within the perceived constraints
regarding what language tools the student was expected to use.

I see your point as a teacher, but after all this *is* a Python mailing list and not a python-homework-support mailing list.

Plus, the OP had already received various good answers specifically helping them solve the problem along the lines of his proposed code, so I guessed hinting to a standard library module which is interesting and potentially relevant in this case might be useful to both the OP and other people on the ML while enriching the discussion ;-)

Best,
Lorenzo.