Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Bill <bill_nos...@noway.net> wrote:
Chris Angelico wrote:
I don't know about vtables as needing to be in ANY programming course.
They're part of a "let's dive into the internals of C++" course. You
certainly don't need them to understand how things work in Python,
because they don't exist; and I'm doubtful that you need to explain
them even to C++ programmers.

Then how are you going to explain dynamic_cast?

I wouldn't. I'd teach Python to beginning programmers. C++ is not a
good first language.
And even for C++ programners, you can go a pretty long way without dynamic_cast.
You either know it exists, and what it can do for you, or you don't. If you want to teach a 2nd course in C++, and leave out vtables and dynamic_cast, I don't have a problem with that. If you always choose the lowest common denominator, your class may not be that interesting. I told my students that my goal was for them was to learn how to learn so that they "didn't need me".

ChrisA