On 2018-05-17 11:26 AM, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer wrote:
> I don't understand what this would return? x? You already have x.  Is
> it meant to make a copy? x has been mutated, so I don't understand the
> benefit of making a copy of the 1-less x.  Can you elaborate on the
> problem you are trying to solve?
>
> --Ned.
>

> assignment to another var

Though I don’t know what the OP was specifically looking for I could see a
benefit to returning the item deleted.

So, lets take as an example I have an object like:

class ListItem(object):
    def __init__(self, key, data):
        self.key = key
        self.data = data
    def __eq__(other):
        return other == self.key

and I do something like:

i1 = ListItem('hello', 'foobar')
l2 = ListItem('goodby', 'snafu')

l = [i1, i2]

So, lets say I have a need where I want to do something like a remove, but I
also want to be able to get the .data variable from the object I am removing,
it would be nice to be able to simply do

x = l.remove('hello')
print(x.data)

Yes, I could do a index/pop to get this, or I could keep a separate dict of the
objects as well for lookups, or a number of other techniques, but it would be
easier to simply get it back during the remove().

Dan Strohl