On 20/05/2018 03:58, Mikhail V wrote:
I have made up a printable PDF with the current version
of the syntax suggestion.

https://github.com/Mikhail22/Documents/blob/master/data-blocks-v01.pdf

After some of your comments I've made some further
re-considerations, e.g. element separation should
be now much simpler.
A lot of examples with comparison included.

Comments, suggestions are welcome.

This is intended to be used inside actual Python programs?

In that case code is normally displayed in fixed pitch, as it would normally be viewed in a code editor, even if part of a document.

But I have to say it looks pretty terrible, and I can't see that it buys much over normal syntax.

The use of the funny /// symbol, and reserving identifiers t, L and d when following ///, is also a little naff.

(Note that lines starting // are interpreted as comment lines in C and C++ languages, and may be used by others too. Those used to see those as comments may get confused.)

It's not clear what ///. is for, or why it's necessary (presumably you have to use ///. /// instead of /// ///).

The ///d dictionary example is ambiguous: can you have more than one key:value per line or not? If so, it would look like this:

  ///d "a "b "c" "d" "e" "f"

so that the pairing is not clear.

You also seem to have more need of the "\" line continuation character in your syntax, because Python can do this:

   data = {

but you need:

   date = \
   ///

Or do you also allow: date = ///  with data following on the next line?

--
bartc