On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM, bartc <b...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 22/05/2018 16:57, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:43 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> In other words, the rule is not really as simple as "commas make
>>> tuples". I stand by what I wrote.
>>

>> Neither of us is wrong here.
>

> Sorry, but I don't think you're right at all. unless the official references
> for the language specifically say that commas are primarily for constructing
> tuples, and all other uses are exceptions to that rule.

"A tuple consists of a number of values separated by commas"
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/datastructures.html#tuples-and-sequences

"Separating items with commas"
https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#tuple

"Note that tuples are not formed by the parentheses, but rather by use
of the comma operator."
https://docs.python.org/3/reference/expressions.html#parenthesized-forms

Enough examples? Commas make tuples, unless context specifies otherwise.

ChrisA