On 2018-05-22 20:42:43 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2018-05-22, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pyt...@hjp.at> wrote:
> > On 2018-05-21 15:42:28 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> I switched from Usenet to Gmane mainly because references headers are
> >> bit more consistent on Gmane, so threading works somewhat better.
> >
> > This is interesting, because Gmane was the reason I switched from
> > reading on usenet to reading the mailinglist: Every article coming
> > through the Gmane gateway had broken headers, which completely messed up
> > threading (It looked like Gmane was replacing Message-Ids with their
> > own). I haven't checked recently whether that is still the case.
> >
> > On the mailing-list threading seems to work.
>
> I've never tried reading the mailing list directly (I'm not willing to
> give up slrn), but the last time I ran NNTP threading tests (I refuse
> to admin how much time I spent writing a Python app to do that), My
> Usenet feed was noticably worse than Gmane.  Gmane had a fair amount
> of breakage as well, but was better than Usenet.

I didn't read on Gmane. I read on my usenet server. But the broken
messages were all coming from Gmane. It is possible that the breakage
only occurs when Gmane passes the message to other Usenet servers,
although I have no idea how that could happen (frankly, I have no idea
why Gmane should replace message-ids at all - it just doesn't make
sense).

        hp