True, but I wanted to have some control over the image window, fullscreen, colour depth, etc. I am also exploring pygame. I will try your suggestion as it is so much simpler.

Being a novice, I had been frightened off using shell=True. See <https://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html#frequently-used-arguments>.

Is this equivalent?
p = subprocess.Popen('display',  + imagepath)

so

p = subprocess.Popen('display',  'test.png')