On 21/09/2018 23:29, Viet Nguyen via Python-list wrote:
Hi,

I want to add up all of the list elements.  But when I use the "map" function, it didn't
seem to work as I expect.  Could someone point out how "map" can be applied here then?

def add_all_elements (*args):
     total = 0
     for i in args:
        print(type(i))
        print("i = %s" % i)
        print("BEFORE total = %s" % total)
        total += int(i)
        print("AFTER total = %s\n" % total)
     print("FINAL total = %s\n" % total)
     return total

alist = ['2', '09', '49']

## this one works Okay

add_all_elements(*alist)

> [...]

list(map(add_all_elements,alist))

Read the output in both cases and try to figure out what 'args' is. Or you could print out 'args' at the top of your function to lend you a hand. That should help you understand what the difference between the two cases is, and what map() is doing.

Good luck!
Thomas