On 2023-03-18 08:46:42 +0000, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 17/03/2023 17:55, Thomas Passin wrote:
> >> I used Delphi and Smalltalk/V which both pretty much only exist within
> >> their own IDEs and I used their features extensively.
> >
> > Back when Delphi first came out, when I first used it, I don't remember
> > any IDE; one just used a text editor.
>
> I think you might be meaning TurboPascal, Delphi's forerunner. It just
> had a compiler and text editor.

I'd still classify Turbo Pascal as an IDE. It wasn't a standalone
compiler you would invoke on source files you wrote with some other
tool. It was a single program where you would write your code, compile
it, see the errors directly in the source code. I think it even had a
debugger which would also use the same editor window (Turbo C did).

> But Delphi from day 1 was an IDE designed to compete with Visual
> Basic. Everything was geared around the GUI builder.

Turbo Pascal predated GUIs, so it wouldn't have a GUI builder. Also not
everything you develop needs a GUI (in fact I haven't written a real
application (i.e. not a learning project) with a traditional desktop GUI
for 20 years) so the presence or absence of a GUI builder isn't an
essential criterion on whether something is or is not an IDE.

        hp