On 11/5/23 10:34, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:

Indeed. There is a tiny but brightly burning kernel of hate in my
heart for web sites (and their developers) that refuse to accept
credit card numbers entered with spaces _as_they_are_shown_on_the_card_!

I've concluded that using PHP causes debilitating and irreversible
brain damage.

I think it's the attitude that speed of deployment is more important than any other factor, rather than just PHP :-) Plus a bunch of that stuff is also coded in the front end (aka Javascript).

Phone numbers.
Credit card numbers.
Names (in my case - my wife has a hypenated surname which is almost as deadly as non-alpha characters in a name which was already mentioned in this diverging thread)

and addresses. living rurally we have two addresses: a post office rural route box for USPS and a "street address" for anyone else. The former looks like "{locationID} Box {number}". The single word "Box" often triggers "we don't deliver to P.O. Boxes" - it's not a PO Box, and it's the only address USPS will deliver to, so get over yourself. Or triggers fraud detection alerts, because "billing address" != "shipping address".

it's astonishing how bad so many websites are at what should be a fundamental function: taking in user-supplied data in order to do something valuable with it.